Wednesday, August 3, 2016

On Being Cool

I notice that it is ‘cool’ to wear jeans with holes in the knees (that is at the present time August ’16) –cool in more than one sense of the word, because on a bracing winter’s morning wearers of these garments will experience a certain breeziness in the region of the knee caps. This is a small price to pay for being cool.
My favourite pair of jeans is developing a hole in the region of the crutch. I suspect that this is uncool – could be seriously uncool.
I am confronted then with the decision as to whether the replacement for my uncool pair of jeans with a hole in the crutch should be another (cool) pair with holes in the knees. – won’t take me long to decide though.
This has me thinking that with the enormous amount of time, energy and money spent on these matters, we should perhaps open up a whole new branch of theology called “Coolology”.
Now what texts could we find to support this task? We might get some mileage out of 1 Corinthians 9. 19 - 23: “For though I am free from all, I have made myself a servant to all that I might win more of them………I do it all for the sake of the Gospel, that I might share with them in its blessings.”
After a certain amount of head-scratching however, I am persuaded that the volume of our ‘Kerksdogmatik’ entitled “Coolology” will be a rather slender volume.

No comments:

Post a Comment